This complex was setup by the Tibetan refugees in Darjeeling on October 2, 1959 after they followed Dalai Lama and escaped from Tibet. The refugees adopted the principle of self help so that they could become self-independent and completely rehabilitate themselves in a foreign country, which they did gracefully.They received the site “Hill Side” measuring some 4 acres of area from the state government to build the center. It’s located on a hill top that can be approached from Lebong Cart Road by car. Initially they started raising funds through donations, subscriptions, charity shows and even through exhibition soccer match. Soon they started receiving some funds from domestic and international voluntary organizations as well.